Assignment 1: Physical Activity Log (details below)
Assignment 2: Reflection Essay (details below)
Assignment 3: Content Assignment (details below)
Months 1 through 5 (1st Semester), Worksheets.
Do the worksheets provided at the links below, by month. Write your answers thoughtfully, with detail and clear explanations.
Months 6 through 10 (2nd Semester), Topical Research Paper.
Write a short research report on a physical education topic of your choice. You have two ways to do the research report; it's your choice which of these two ways you want to do it.
Research Report Method 1: Follow the Part 3 Handout.
These things you must know if you choose to do this:
- COMPLETE SENTENCES. Make sure all your answers are in complete sentence form, and are thoughtful, complete, and well-written.
- TWO CORRECT SOURCES. You must use a minimum of two sources. If they are internet webpages, make sure you give the entire link (URL) of the websites you use, not just the home page URL. For instance, if you are researching treatments for leukemia, you might find this website: https://www.webmd.com/cancer/lymphoma/understanding-leukemia-treatment#1. If you just put www.webmd.com as the URL on your paper, you will lose credit. The source only counts if what you write down will allow me to go directly to the website where you found your information about the topic.
- Don't miss any of the questions that you have to answer at the bottom of the page.
- Be especially thoughtful about why you trust a source. In fact, if you ever use any wikipedia webpage, make sure you find the same or similar information somewhere else, because wikipedia is known for not having control over the information that is available there.
Research Report Method 2: Write a one-page topical research paper. Topics can be anything having to do with physical education, such as nutrition, sports medicine/injuries, exercise, research about individual sports. If uncertain that a particular topic is appropriate, check with the teacher. You must provide at least two resources showing where you found your information.
Requirements for the topical research paper:
- 12 POINT font.
- ONE FULL PAGE minimum (90% of the page is considered close enough). You are welcome to write more than one page--but not more than two pages.
- MLA style rules for the paper and to credit sources.
- AT LEAST TWO SOURCES.
- FULL URL for internet sources
(i.e., not http://wikipedia.org when it should be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulled_hamstring#Treatment).
- DIFFERENT TOPIC EACH MONTH. Can be similar in concept to a previous concept but significantly different (such as treatment of an injury one month, and treatment of an illness a different month).
- YOUR WORK, NOT COPIED. Copied work--from a website, a friend, or anything--is cheating (unless credited appropriately). Following our school's Academic Honesty Policy, an incident of cheating results in a zero grade for that assignment. A repeat violation of the honesty policy results in failure of the course. Therefore, research for information, but write your essay in your own words.
NOTE: If you're not sure, then make the choice to give credit to the source, even though it means more work to do.